March for Free Expression

The next phase

Sunday, March 26, 2006

An open letter to the Muslim Action Committee

Dear Ismaeel-Haneef,

First of all, I would like to thank you for the work you did last week to help ensure that the rallies in Birmingham and London were peaceful occasions. When we chatted last night on Radio Five Live, I said that the Muslim and non-Muslim parts of our community tend to stare at one another in suspicion and hostility from heavily fortified bunkers. I think we have helped reduce this problem, if only slightly.

As I have told you during our telephone conversations, I asked people not to bring the cartoons on placards because I wanted Muslims to feel able to participate in our campaign if they agreed with the principles behind it, and for no other reason. I also told you it was not a bargaining chip of any kind. As you know, I had hoped it might help you change your mind and send a speaker to put your viewpoint to the rally but, disappointingly, you did not feel able to do so. Nonetheless, we heard a number of views from within the Islamic world.

Some people did feel so strongly about the cartoon issue that they brought them on placards. In every case, they did so in a way that showed their support for Denmark and their anger that artists are living in hiding after death threats were made against them by homicidal fanatics. I hope you will join with me in acknowledging and respecting the strength of their opinions, and their commitment to peace and freedom, even if you do not agree with them. Certainly, everyone who attended made sure the rally was a place where none of the Muslims I spoke to, including representatives of the media from the Islamic world, felt uncomfortable. The only complaint came from someone who came along specifically to try to find a reason to complain.

As I have told you on the telephone, I am not a Muslim and I am not bound by Islamic laws or taboos. I do not think the "Danish cartoons" were offensive and point out that almost nobody was offended when they were published. There was, in fact, almost no reaction to the actual publication. The trouble came later, after a group of Danish Imams toured the Middle East with a "dodgy dossier" specifically trying to stir up trouble. We all need to denounce this sort of deliberate troublemaking, and this sort of deliberate creation of tension and rifts within our community.

But even if they had been offensive, threats of any description are wholly unacceptable, and the mealy-mouthed waffling of the Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, when he failed to condemn the death threats but did condemn the cartoons, was the initial impetus for this campaign. Grand Ayatollah al-Sistani lists "unclean" things on his website. I am one of them (Kaffir). That is offensive. But I don't think he should be banned from saying this.

When I asked people not to bring the cartoons to the rally, I also said we would exhibit them subsequently. We are now going to arrange this. We propose to find a venue within which they can be shown and discussed. As I have told you, I support the right to offend, not because I advocate the giving of offense, but because without this there can be no freedom of speech or expression. But, even so, in this case nobody who might be offended by the sight of them need enter the venue.

The only grounds that any Muslim could object to this on would be that they sought to impose Sharia Law and Muslim taboos on non-Muslims, even when those non-Muslims are in private surroundings. This would be a nakedly fascistic line and, while I know there are some on the extreme fringes who might advocate this, I know this sort of view is as repugnant to moderate, mainstream Muslims as the terrorism these fringes resort to when they feel they have been thwarted, or when they seek to advance their agendas.

I know you would want to have this opportunity to make sure that no controversy ever gets started, and that good community relations are preserved, by stating now that you accept and support our right to hold this exhibition.

The next is more difficult, I know. We would very much welcome it if you were to attend the exhibition and debate the cartoons. I realise you might find this impossible, but dialogue is a two way street, as I think I have proved. Sometimes we have to take difficult and unpopular decisions in the interests of good community relations. You know I have received significant and frequently venomous criticism for having asked people to take into account Muslim sensibilities.

Now you have an opportunity to show similar courage in the name of reconciliation. This opportunity we both have to break down barriers is one of the best things to come out of the free expression campaign. I'm glad I had a chance to make a contribution first. I'm also very glad you now have a similar opportunity.

Kind Regards,

Peter Risdon.

41 Comments:

Blogger Charles Martel said...

so much for free expression. you now have to log in to comment.

oh dear.

4:05 pm  
Blogger Jew 90 said...

This campaign just gets more and more bizarre. Peter, MAC are celebrating the fact that they handicapped your march! And you send them a toadying letter like that?

And you've made comments registration only!

4:12 pm  
Blogger Will B said...

The actions of yourself oer the last few days have been shameful. toadying letters? U-turns? Log In to comment? this campaign is no longer about free expression, it is very clear. When are you going to tell us the truth about the M.A.C. ,one of the speakers and their interferance Peter?

4:22 pm  
Blogger Charles Martel said...

there goes any chance for Muslim dissidents to post safely and anonymously. you now have to log in.


turn it back Peter - it'll be very counter productive in the long run.

4:22 pm  
Blogger Charles Martel said...

the question Peter should be asking is why is there a M.A.C. in the first place. WHy isnt there a Hindu Action Commitee , or a Roman Catholic Action Committee.

As a lapsed Catholic myself, there is PLENTY in modern Britain that I can see is highly offensive to Catholics. Thing is , Catholics aren't burning down embassies just because lads mags like FHM are on display in every supermarket.

Therein lies the crux of the matter - why does the MAC exist in the first place? Is it a front organisation that wont be happy until sharia law is imposed in the UK? there are so many questions not being asked.

4:26 pm  
Blogger Will B said...

0h of course Charles. I totally agree, samegoes for CAIR in the USA which was founded by a hamas supporter. It would be much better if this campaign was shut down or that Peter stepped aside. I STILL can't believe he feel for their ploy.

4:30 pm  
Blogger Will B said...

"Islam isn't in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become dominant"
"The Koran, the Muslim book of scripture, should be the highest authority in America , and Islam the only accepted religion on Earth,"

- Omar M. Ahmad founder of CAIR

4:37 pm  
Blogger LondonLit said...

I was at the march. Although disappointed at the low turnout, I was impressed by the passion and seriousness of the crowd as well as by both by the quality of most of the speakers.

I thought it a shame that some of the speakers couldn't resist slipping in their own personal agendas - this usually happened towards the end of the speeches - thereby alienating people with different views and distracting from what unites us.

I think it was right to ask people not to bring the cartoons on this occasion. However, I think it's a great idea to put them on show in a context where they can be debated if not calmly, then at least rationally. It's like exposing a dangerous chemical to sunlight; it needs to be examined without it blowing up in everyone's faces, as it might well have done in the square.

All in all I think we made a great start and I was proud to be there.

4:44 pm  
Blogger synapse7 said...

Presumably this exhibition of free expression will include the entries from the holocaust cartoon competition?

I noticed at the demo the swastika around the tony blair dummy was pounced upon by the stewards. When the protester refused to remove the offending symbol - they even asked the police to help them kill free expression.

4:49 pm  
Blogger Temporary said...

I have similar feelings to yours, Londonlit. I was also very dissapointed and surprised at the rather dismal attendance figures, considering how important this was. At the end of the day, we had a rather cautious initial angry but well mannered Pussycat Meow about our annoyance, rather than the loud Lion's roar many of us expected on the day (I noticed the Trafalgar Lions were obscured).

But it can only grow from here, IMO. Many are dissapointed and feel all is lost due to one concession which "did" have serious drawbacks but also paved the way for an intelligent gathering regarding Free Speech and Expression, and what it "really" means for us all if we truly did embrace it 100%. Like you, I feel proud that I attended. At least we made the effort,unlike folks who sat at home because the situation wasn't "perfect".

5:11 pm  
Blogger aeneas said...

Hate to break up the discussion, but...

Great news - we have a victory! Jihad Watch reports that Abdul Rahman is to be released.

This is a great and couragous man and we should rejoice that common sense and common decency has prevailed.

5:15 pm  
Blogger The Fox said...

You are out of your mind Peter.
Just because you may celebrate being rational, never assume that muslims are going to be the same way, or in fact be ANYTHING like you.
Why exactly is it that people keep on parroting that muslims are our friends? What single shred of evidence is there to support this? And what - precisely - was the rally all about? It seemed a mish-mash of personal agendas more than a unified demand for free speech and expression.
If you ever organise anything like that again, PLEASE advertise it adequately beforehand! I was almost embarrassed that less than 500 people in a country of 63,000,000 felt strongly enough about the concept to even bother turning up. Muslims could rake up more people than that in ten minutes.

5:35 pm  
Blogger Ian the Atheist said...

Will B makes a great point - when is Peter going to come clean about the role of Rend Shakir in crippling the march?

For goodness sakes man, did you not even read her website before accepting her as a speaker?? On the 12th of March, she posted (about the OIC meeting): "It is obvious such cartoons will cause a strong reaction. Such defamation has no relation to the right of freedom of expression, and condemnation for them has been appropriately given."

And now, you are offering them another chance to make you look like a chump? Give it up now before you do even more damage.

5:46 pm  
Blogger urbanII said...

Ah, Mr Risdon! So your eleventh hour flip-flop (word du jour) over the motoons was just a cunning plan to gain leverage with the MAC (pbut). Well, you certainly had me fooled. Please post the MAC (pbut) response - I am sure it will be fascinating.

5:52 pm  
Blogger tiztaz said...

Why Peter? Have you heard the rubbish that man comes out with? You don't need - and shouldn't want - to talk to him. This isn't about dialogue and understanding and appeasement. It's about - purely and simply - our right to freedom of speech. We are allowed to offend, to upset, to mock, without worrying that we'll have to somehow pay for it. How has that escaped you?

You're a fool mate, a real fool. I'm out of here.

6:29 pm  
Blogger tiztaz said...

Actually, before I leave, I'd like to say that you, Peter, labelling people you disagree with as 'headbangers' or racists is one of the most despicable tactics I've seen in a long, long time. If you look through the posts you'll see that very few of them that disagree with you come from racists or nutters. The vast majority are from ordinary people who feel betrayed by your actions. And further betrayed that you continue to attach false labels to them in order to evade the issues.

And for that alone you should be regarded as a pathetic, dismal and thoroughly mediocre little specimen.

6:39 pm  
Blogger TheFriendlyInfidel said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:22 pm  
Blogger Revolution Radio said...

The writing was on the wall from the start.
When the BNP were made unwelcome, it meant that an agenda had been set. Free speech is free for all was one of the placards I saw, two of the most interesting people I met all day were BNP members and they didn't say anything as contentious as Rend Shakir did.

Seeing the piss poor turn out, hearing the MAC mouthpiece and meeting respectable business people who happen to belong to the 'far right' party has made me want to join.
Freedom of speech / expression has been a major issue for some for a very long time. Today it is an issue for us all. This is because of one section of society poisoning the well and I don't have to name them, everyone knows who I am talking about.

7:25 pm  
Blogger TheFriendlyInfidel said...

Personally I think that Peter has shown a lot of leadership so far and I'm happy run with what he is doing.

So far we are squeaky clean, there is nothing that the MAC can accuse us off. We have not rioted, we have not had the BNP there, we even allowed a member of their group to speak, we have bent over backwards to be accommodating. We had an intelligent reasoned academic discussion with like minded people about. We have kicked started a new policital group that will hopefully grow in numbers.

This group needs a reason to have another meeting, what could be better than a private showing of the cartoons and a discussion about what they mean?

We already know from past history how they (an Political Islamic group) will play this, completely from their point of view with moral indignation, throwing around poorly thought out accusations, but never commenting on the responses to those questions, or the answering the questions asked in return.

As a new fledging group we are creating our own history, if we throw our weight now around, this will count against us in the longer term.

It is enviable that the MAC will do everything in their power to prevent the cartoons being shown under any circumstance. This is not because Mohammad cannot be drawn, it is that they are to proud to be mocked and what this be enshrined in law - this breathtaking arrogance will be shown in response to the open letter.

I very much look forward to the next meeting.

7:30 pm  
Blogger TheFriendlyInfidel said...

I'm pleased that the anonymous posters have been removed.

I am effectively anonymous because you don't know who I am, but my personality on these discussion boards is consist and effectively represents an individual in the blogsphere. I have others, but have no intention of muddying them by commenting on this hot potato.

When Voltaire suggested the concept of free speech, he did not imagine a debating forum where someone can send a message as if they were there: i.e. imagine we were at a debate, someone might open a letter and say "an anonymous person has sent us this message", but today that person is sitting in that room shouting from the shadows being deliberately disruptive.

I've been trolling these board, discussing, abusing, condoning and condemning ideas, messages and posts. In fact I believe that I've read every post on this board to date. It is my opinion that there are many individuals lying about who they are, for instance "I'm a Muslim", when they are not, or single individuals making multiple personalities \ posts to give the impression there are far more than there are.

Requiring registrations does not change any of this, but it will hopefully reduce the amount of noise on these pages, create consistent individuals, and allow us to focus on the discussions in hand in a grown up adult manor.

Peter you are doing a good job, Saturday past without any violence and a good discussion, and lets be honest if he had not banned the posters, how you do you think Saturday would have panned out?

Saturday was a protest that turned into a meeting, the next may be a meeting that turns into protest.

7:32 pm  
Blogger TheFriendlyInfidel said...

> When we chatted last night on Radio Five Live

After saying nice things about Peter's leadership, I would like to comment that I am very disappointed that he didn't make a post here so that we hear him have the above interview.

Is there a recording I can listen to?

7:37 pm  
Blogger amnesty nice said...

Pics from the event

http://nordish.net/blog/london_25march/

7:50 pm  
Blogger TheFriendlyInfidel said...

Good to see the boys in blue did something to protect us on Saturday.

> Nine bearded Muslim men arrived
> at the protest wearing army
> fatigues and black-and-white head
> scarves. They were escorted away
> from the protest by about two
> dozen of the police officers who
> were at the scene.

If I'm not mistaken white and black are the colours of Jihad.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=139136&Sn=WORL&IssueID=29006

8:29 pm  
Blogger Temporary said...

The Fox Said : "You are out of your mind Peter. Just because you may celebrate being rational, never assume that muslims are going to be the same way, or in fact be ANYTHING like you. Why exactly is it that people keep on parroting that muslims are our friends? What single shred of evidence is there to support this? And what - precisely - was the rally all about?

Did you go to the event, Fox? If so, then surely you would have "listened" to it's purpose. True,there were some people with personal agendas. Look at even the much photographed Iranian guy with the cartoon plackard with Communist Youth Organization and the website address at the bottom (nice plug). No event like that is free from plugging from the crowd or speakers.

As for Muslims and what you claim are their apparent lack of desire for friendship? Well,I can't really speak for British Muslims because I don't any. But I have personally lived with Muslims in several Islamic countries, and they would be shocked by your assumption.

My experience has found Muslims to be some of the most hospitable people on this earth. Don't take my word for it or argue without experience. Go to some Islamic nations and discover for yourself. No, I'm not talking about the nutters we see at protests outside Danish Embassys. But your everyday Muslim who although has strict beliefs, doesn't sit around all day plotting yours and my downfall.

But (and this is important) I defend the right of the cartoons to appear in Europe media, because they are "Our" nations. Nations outside of Europe have no right whatsoever to demand what goes on in our nations.

Just as it was none of Ayatollah Khomeini's business what Salman Rushdie wrote, outside of Iran. I would never dream of mocking Islam in an Islamic nation though, because it is "their" nation, and not my business to demand changes to adapt to me, or because something in the culture offends.

But I feel anybody is fair game if they are living in the west. That is is my view and why I went to the march. All I would say to the persistent whiners on this Blog about the so called total failure of yesterday,is why don't they simply go their own way and make their own protest the way "they" want it?

Nobody is stopping you. People seem to continually condemn Peter, yet they hang around him like Bees to Jam. Strange huh?

8:47 pm  
Blogger Charles Martel said...

people are going on and on above about "dismal" attendance - what you forget is that it is so easier to get folks to protest AGAINST something, rather than FOR something. thats just human nature. all things considered, the march made its point.

it was reported on the mainstream media ( page 2 of the Sunday Times today, for example) - and thats what really matters, rather than numbers of people who attended.

8:59 pm  
Blogger Voltaire said...

friendlyinfidel, I'm sorry. I did a telephone interview with BBC Scotland at 8:30 yesterday morning, and a telephone interview with 5 Live at 8:00pm that evening. In between, I did nothing but interviews and the rally - even the pub was pretty full on in the sense that there were a lot of people to talk with, I did two interviews while there, and I felt there wasn't enough time to meet all the incredible people who turned up. I'd have happily spent the rest of the evening talking with almost all the people I met. I haven't had time to check and link to the media stuff that's online - and I'd like to thank everyone who has posted links.

The idea that building bridges with Muslims is weak is bizarre, in my opinion. The idea that writing a couteous letter is "toadying" is also bizarre, and lends credibility to the feeling Muslims have of being under siege. Nice work. Why shoot yourself in the foot when you can machine-gun yourself in the legs?

I made this site registered comments only to cut down the noise. Anyone at all can register. I've just made it harder for some BNPer to enter 100 comments, pretending he is different people each time. Of the first 100 comments on one thread, I reckoned 70 were by no more than 3 people. I have deleted a few 2000 word diatribes. If the posters want to put them elsewhere and put a link in a comment, I'd leave it stand, but they were making the threads unusable.

We have had favourable and sympathetic (though not perfect) coverage by the BBC. At the start, people were saying the Beeb wouldn't cover this at all or, if they did, they'd slate us. Now I'm getting stick for the policies that have made these fears untrue. I'll live with that.

I know you have misgivings about some of the policy I've used, and I know you just plain disagree with other parts of it, but thanks for being open minded, charles martell. There were other rallies around the world in support of Denmark. Attendances were 80, 100, 120, at most 180 people. Even in Denmark, they only got out 100 people. We did VERY well. Decent people tend not to be motivated enough. Douglas Adams commented well on this, but I can't be bothered to go and find the quote.

The rally was a start, not an end point. I wanted it to give us credibility, gravitas and very wide appeal. I think that has happened. I think we can go forward now without any suggestion that we are a white nationalist front. I assembled an impressive roster of speakers from all parts of the decent left, right and centre. It's a lot better to get someone with whom you disagree engaged in dialogue than to be shouting from opposite ends of a field.

And tell me this: what, exactly, has all the "purist", "uncompromised" blogging on this subject accomplished so far? Exactly nothing, that's what. I'm not happy with that. I want to bring about genuine change. And to do that, you have to work with the possible. Politics is, someone said, the art of the possible. I believe the rally made something possible.

The next few weeks will show whether this is true or not. But I am very optimistic.

9:07 pm  
Blogger Theo said...

Peter I disagreed with you when you made the decision to not welcome the cartoons at the march but this letter has got my respect for you back and agree with just about everything you said.

BTW could we move to a better forum system maybe with threaded and voted comments as part of that new web site? I think people are just getting abit tetchy over only having 2 inches of column space :P

9:33 pm  
Blogger Voltaire said...

theo, yes, but with the experience of the troll-fest some of these threads have been, I am inclined to make contributions registration-only (with a VERY open approach to registration).

And thank you for bearing with this and for keeping an open mind.

9:40 pm  
Blogger RosaCassells said...

The Fox said "You are out of your mind Peter.
Just because you may celebrate being rational, never assume that muslims are going to be the same way, or in fact be ANYTHING like you.
Why exactly is it that people keep on parroting that muslims are our friends? What single shred of evidence is there to support this?"

It's this type of comment that reminds me that many people going on about 'freedom of expression' are in fact just bigots with nasty shameful views. This is a very deluded movement indeed (if the word 'movement' can be applied to such a small and confused group).

10:16 pm  
Blogger TheFriendlyInfidel said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:38 pm  
Blogger urbanII said...

"...Politics is, someone said, the art of the possible. I believe the rally made something possible."

Oh Voltaire, do tell what is now possible? You have acceeded to the demands of the MAC and in return you have received what exactly? A pat on the head? A dhimmi-of-the-month award? No more threats (unless you step out of line again)?

As an "uncompromising purist" (is that your euphemism for "fascist"?) I am intrigued as to what compromise you hope to achieve with MAC regarding your proposed cartoon "exhibition". Given the worldwide Muslim hissy-fit we have seen so far I am finding it hard not to be a tad sceptical. Still, that's bloody fascists for you! ;)

11:19 pm  
Blogger TheFriendlyInfidel said...

> You have acceeded to the demands
> of the MAC and in return you have
> received what exactly?

The moral high ground.

11:22 pm  
Blogger mostazaf said...

Peter Risdon: "First of all, I would like to thank you for the work you did last week to help ensure that the rallies in Birmingham and London were peaceful occasions."

Listen you idiot - it is his DUTY to uphold the public peace. Why do you have to f***ing thank him for stopping his cohorts and idelogical brethren from attacking your dhimmi rally? Did the hooded Islamist thugs not show up, intimidating the demonstrators? If it were not for the police, how many demonstrators would be clubbed and knifed, you idiot? Now go and kiss the behind of a racist, misogynist and extortionist fascist Islamist organization.

Your whining about MAC not showing up in support of your rally talks volumes about your ignorance of Islamic doctrine and Islamic oppression.

People bringing the cartoons is NOT simply for expressing support of 12 cartoonists. It is because they have to UPHOLD THE TENET of freedom of expression on their own soil, and everywhere else in the world. Peter's inability to understand the fundament of free expression is simply mind boggling. People brought the cartoons because they have to rationally CRITICIZE ISLAM AND ITS PROPHET, simply because it is there - and uphold the principle of "PUBLIC REASON" - or otherwise face a huge risk to their open society. Until when will Peter deny that Islam is NOT ABOVE CRITICISM?

Peter's insistance that "Muslims not be discomforted at his rally" is racist and bigotted in that not all Muslims are of a narrow and fanatic mind. In other words, for Peter, "the end justifies the means". If the end is to bring Muslims into his organization, and keep them happy, then self-censorship should be practicied in the name of "freedom of expression". The irony is simply overwhelming.

Javad

11:46 pm  
Blogger mostazaf said...

Peter Risdon: "As I have told you (the fascist organization MAC) on the telephone, I am not a Muslim and I am not bound by Islamic laws or taboos. "

Hey idiot Peter, what makes you think that Muslims are "bound by Islamic laws", or that Muslims should be bound by it? Would your actions be any different if you were a Muslim, you idiot? Your bigotted orientalist idea of Islam is simply striking.

Peter, how long is it going to take you to "arrange the venue to display the cartoons"? What is stopping you, do you care to comment? Are you negotiating with MAC on the size and placement of the cartoons? Like in the "Islamic democracy" of Iran where pictures of candidates cannot exceed 3 x 5 centimeters, and must be black and white and tucked away? How much of our RIGHTS are you negotiating away to extortionist organizations like MAC?

12:12 am  
Blogger mostazaf said...

Peter Risdon: "As I have told you, I support the right to offend, not because I advocate the giving of offense, but because without this there can be no freedom of speech or expression. But, even so, in this case nobody who might be offended by the sight of them need enter the venue."

Wow - such a manifestation of ingenuity. Finally, you are starting to think, ey? You have figured out that freedom of expression is an individual opt-in process, ey? bArikallAh !!! If fanatic Muslims don't like cartoons at a rally, then they need not show up. This is simply one of the facts of life.

And then in the next paragraph you imply that Muslim imposition of oppressive anti-human Shariah law on other Muslims, is OK. What a f***ing idiot you are, Peter. Your desperate attempt to keep Muslims and non-Muslims segregated, with Muslims subject to their own anti-democratic misogynistic laws, in an apartheid system, is very revealing and thoroughly bigotted.

Peter: "Sometimes we have to take difficult and unpopular decisions in the interests of good community relations. "

In other words, "the ends justify the means". Self-censorship is good for freedom of expression. What an idiot.

Peter: "You know I have received significant and frequently venomous criticism for having asked people to take into account Muslim sensibilities."

Hey idiot - these are NOT SENSIBILITIES. Sensibility demands a modicum of reasoning backing it, and is strictly limited to codified tenets of rights and freedoms. What you call sensibilities are self-righteous self-declared sanctities, in order to browbeat the "other" to submit to their self-made self-serving rules of discourse. Get an education man, and stop this ignorance about the enlightenment process.

You already gave away your first born to the extortionists. Now lets see how much more you wish to sacrifice.

What an IDIOT, to call yourself a "Voltaire".

12:24 am  
Blogger FreeSpeech said...

Peter, the fact the rally took place is a success.

I feel however, that you did not set the rules fully, and that you will not do so in the future.

If you give in to demands - seemingly reasonable - by other groups, you will slowly be drawn into a position of almost free expression.

They misuse the word civility, as they misuse other words, and they to this moment have not been able to give a reasoned explanation to their refusal of the display of the cartoons.
(see http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=24211501&postID=114337897752097751 )

1:30 am  
Blogger The Magpie said...

Peter, what do you dream at night?

9:58 am  
Blogger pinknews said...

More coverage at PinkNews

12:04 pm  
Blogger Anonymous said...

"Muslims not be discomforted at his rally" is racist and bigotted in that not all Muslims are of a narrow and fanatic mind."

I see - the muslims that can hack the cartoons (our friends) and the ones that feel insulted (fanatical terrorists) - supposedly good and bad muslims. Because we all have friends who are muslim, some of them are nice so we "sift" them using the cartoons (like a form of religious denunciation)...

It is very clear what is happening ...

So muslims who are offended don't go to a rally for the cartoons - fair enough - but it wasn't a rally "for the cartoons" it was a rally for free expression. The muslims with their faces covered were no terrorists, they were just frightened of being recognised at the rally and photographed. They were exercising their freedom of expression and were not planning any violence they just wanted to go and see the march - anonymously.

It's ridiculous to suggest that means they were terrorists. So showing up with a cartoon is not offensive, but looking like a Muslim (aka terrorist) is...

8:54 pm  
Blogger mostazaf said...

anonymouse: "It's ridiculous to suggest that means they were terrorists. So showing up with a cartoon is not offensive, but looking like a Muslim (aka terrorist) is... "

"Offense" is in the eye of the beholder. You don't like it, then get lost. Don't show up. You were never invited. You cannot have your whims dictate what I can say or think.

If a group of Muslims or a group from a fascist organization have their faces covered, then sure, that is a threat. Check the riot and strike photos in Paris where students were clubbed by such groups, and then come back and say you do not find that threatening.

I mean Islam kills people who criticize Islam. So why would somebody who criticizes Islam not feel threatened by a pack of hooded thug looking individuals who are unhappy about the cartoons?

4:30 am  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Hey JEW90,
And anyone who's THAT upset about "not enough" cartoons at the rally:-

No wonder you complain about censorship - it affects your ability to spread your purile message. Glad you're pissed off - it's a very good sign that Voltaire did something right.

You were going to use the march for your sick aims weren't you?

Muslim, British, and Proud.

10:58 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home